Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Superbowl done the Paleo way.

So the Superbowl was this past Sunday, Jeff and I went to hang out with our friends Maja, Joe and Tierney to watch the game.  Now at this time last year I can guarantee that I was eating tons of wings and queso but I know that my Team D coaches would not be ok with that so I had to prepare.  I decided to make my almond crackers in order to avoid the chips (and because Joe makes the most amazing guacamole in the world) and Shrimp Cakes  from the Primal Blueprint cookbook which KP has made before.

 Soooooooo I start cooking and here is what happens...   












Now clearly the are NOT cakes...this has started off as a big crumbly mess.  So now I'm experimenting with different sizes and pan temps, texting Karen for advice, and I even have poor Jeff in the kitchen trying to help.  After reading the ingredients, Jeff suggests adding some almond flour into the shrimp mix to see if it helps stick.  After a few more tries I toss the shrimp mix back into the food processor to see if that helps and then throw in about a cup of almond flour for good measure. BINGO!!! My yummy smelling shrimp cakes are finally sticking and looking cake-like. So then what happens to the shrimp crumbles? I make a coleslaw salad with the coconut almond dressing and toss in the crumbles...I now have an extra/super easy meal or snack for the rest of the week and I didn't waste any food!  

                                     Here is what my Superbowl meal looked like this year: 
                                    Almond crackers, guac, shrimp cakes, and veggies!   Yummy and it didn't destroy my food log :)  













I will admit, I had a few light beers and one of Maja's amazing cupcakes, but all in all I did pretty well sticking to my food goals. Oh and the Packers won, which means I won my bet against my husband (I love winning bets against him). My prize? A trip to Lulu (or maybe a new kettle bell, which I really need)!!! :) 


No comments:

Post a Comment