Wednesday, February 16, 2011

~The Fittest Games~

                
On February 13th Crossfit Central hosted The Fittest Games which was a competition between a ton of Crossfit Affiliates from all of Texas (I was very excited to see some Houston groups there).     



Crossfit Athletes during the Opening Ceremonies.



There were 2 main groups, Intermediate and Elite (within these groups there were 40+ competitors), there were also a few teams in the mix.  The Intermediate competitors (Tim and Randy) completed 3 WOD's and the Elite group (Karen) completed 4 WOD's. Oh and the Central athletes dominated. Since I don't work out in the gym, I wasn't able to compete but I really wanted to get involved so I decided to volunteer. The volunteers showed up at 6am (in the freezing/windy weather) to help set up.  I've never volunteered at an event like this so it was really cool to see all of it come together. I also have a new appreciation for the volunteers at the races, I always knew they were important but they do so much that most of us don't even think about (like trash can setup/placement).   
My Job: the time board for the Track and Field WOD's
  My job (other than drawing the awesome grid you see above) was running the field/track scores over to Central, I met some cool people and got to cheer on some friends.


Coach Karen was one of the Elite athletes along with Lisa Thiel, Chardonnay Poole, and Cary Kepler (I'm not even gonna lie, these women are rock stars to me).

I was able to watch the Elite and Intermediate teams during the Field WOD (KP got 1st in her heat)                

  • Field WOD - Gas Mask@ Lamar Field: 10 Min Cap
For Time:30 burpee buy in (jumping over paralette)Run width of field down & back
30 Dumbbell Single Arm Power Snatches
Run width of field down & back
30 Dumbbell Single Arm Shoulder To Overhead
Run width of field down & back


KP pre Field WOD
                                            

Burpee Buy In
















35# Shoulder to Overhead



1st place in Heat 3...go KP!!!    

























Go Tim
 Fellow "Team D" member Tim competing in the Intermediate Men's Field WOD



I was able to watch a few Heats of the Intermediate Track WOD.
 Track WOD - Big Mac @ Lamar Track: 15 Min Cap

For Time:
200m Run
15 Snatches (must pass through the squat)
400m Run
15-12-9 of SumoDLHighPull & Shoulder to Overhead
200m Run

 




















I wish I had been able to stay and watch the Elites do this WOD becuase I heard it was amazing but I was excited to get to cheer on Randy who was competeing as part of the Intermediate Men's 40+ (yet another Team D badass)   
Go Randy!


Next up was the Strength WOD at Central (called the Grizzly Bear) .
 10mins to Find Your 3RM Bear Complex:
-must be touch and go on the ground between reps
*I have to admit that I have no idea what a "3RM Bear Complex" is but it looked tough.

Black top set up









My rock star coach :)






















The 4th Elite WOD was 
  • Gymnastike WOD (Elite & 40+ Elite Only)@ CrossFit Central Gym: 12 Min Cap
For Time:
4 Muscle Ups/ 20 Toes to Bar/ 40 Double Unders
4 Muscle Ups/ 15 Toes to Bar/ 30 Double Unders
4 Muscle Ups/ 10 Toes to Bar/ 20 Double Unders
4 Muscle Ups/ 5 Toes to Bar/ 10 Double Unders

*women will perform 2 Muscle Ups per round

I wish I was able to get more pics of this but it was in the gym so the lighting was bad. But here is a Muscle Up...like I said...Crossfit Women are rockstars! 
 

I had so much fun volunteering at this event but the best part of the day was watching the athletes together. So many people talk about Relentless and Crossfit being life changing and it really is. After spending the day helping out at the Fittest Games, I feel even more determined to get in to the Central gym...next year I WILL  be at this event competing. Next on my list: Elements.





No comments:

Post a Comment